It has long been said that Thomas Tallis’s Spem in alium, a motet for 40 voices, was written on his hearing Alessandro Striggio’s 40-part motet Ecce beatam lucem when Striggio visited London in 1567. There appears to be no record of the Striggio motet having been performed at that time, although his Missa sopra Ecco si beato giorno for 40 voices (and 60 independent voices for the final Agnus Dei) apparently was.Cosimo de’ Medici, patron of the arts and Striggio’s employer, sent him in 1566-67 (with his Mass) on a long diplomatic journey to the courts at Vienna, Brno, Munich, Paris, and London, where the Mass was performed. Although copies were left to the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II, Albrecht V in Munich, and Charles IX of France, the Mass then disappeared for more than four centuries. What happened?
It seems the Missa was copied in the early 17th century, presumably from the score Striggio left to Charles IX. This was donated to Louis XV’s Royal Library in 1726 by composer Sébastien de Brossard, whose catalogue of his enormous music library describes a 17th century "Mass for five choirs of eight parts each... and a Basso continuo by Signore Alessandro Struseo if I am not mistaken, for this name is very badly written”. The years passed, the Royal Library became Napoleon’s Imperial Library, the Royal Library once again, and eventually the Bibliothèque Nationale de France, with changes in location and recataloguing to accompany the changes in name.
From his difficult-to-read transcript, in which the composer was referred to as “Strigeo”, Brossard copied the name as “Struseo”. When preparing a catalogue for general use, the Royal Library’s scribe in turn read this as Strusco, and thus it remained: a nameless 17th century Mass by a non-existent composer. In 1914, a zealous corrector dealt the final blow by removing the last clue: perhaps considering 40 parts to be very improbable, he edited the reference to read “4-part Mass”. And so it goes.
In 1980, a Cambridge researcher found a 1567 Italian reference to the Missa; shortly thereafter, an Oxford scholar published two newly identified letters by Striggio alluding to the same work. Davitt Moroney, a musicologist at the University of California at Berkeley, first saw reference to the Mass in 1987, and spent nearly 20 years searching the place it had never left – the Bibliothèque Nationale de France. In 2005, he recovered and identified Striggio’s Mass, and conducted the first modern performance in July 2007 at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
Much better than my explanations, though, are those of Davitt Moroney and of the music itself. The Comments box has links to a BBC discussion and the London performance of Tallis’s Spem in alium, Striggio’s Ecce beatam lucem and his Missa sopra Ecco si beato giorno, as well as to an interview of and to a lecture by Dr. Moroney.








11 comments:
BBC discussion/Tallis Spem in alium (40vv), Striggio Ecce beatam lucem (40vv), Striggio Missa sopra Ecco si beato giorno (40/60vv):
http://rapidshare.com/files/200028487/radio3_discoveringmusic_cdm0744tallis40.ra
(This is a 65 kbps RealAudio file [requires the RealPlayer]; I apologize, but an .mp3 copy could not be found or made without distortion. Many thanks to Anchusa and Sankerib for their invaluable assistance).
There is a short interview of Davitt Moroney in the UCBerkeley Events series on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ls_9id5ba4
Dr. Moroney's June 2007 lecture at Gresham College can be heard and/or seen (and downloaded free of charge) at the Gresham College (London) Lecture Archive. The text is also available:
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/event.asp?PageId=39&EventId=613
Update:
An mp3 copy of the Striggio Missa sopra Ecco si beato giorno has turned up. You can download it at
http://rapidshare.com/files/200440269/Striggio___Mass__Ecco_Si_Beato_Giorno_.zip
Many thanks to the original maker/uploader, whose identity I am unable to determine.
Thank you very much for these infos.
I just want to know that if exist a CD with "Missa sopra Ecco sì beato giorno"?
Respect,
Taake
Could please someone reup the Striggio's Missa? Links is dead. Thanks
I'm for reupload too, pls!
No problem, people (and sorry it went down).
I left the file in my other jacket, though, so I can't do this until tomorrow. Hope that's soon enough! ;)
@Taake: I hadn't seen your question; my apologies.
As far as I know, it has never been recorded for CD release. Let's hope someone does it soon!
Reuploaded:
Striggio Missa sopra Ecco si beato giorno (40/60vv) reuploaded (radio recording, 192 kbps)
http://rapidshare.com/files/418768529/AStriggio.rar
or
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d8r9ey0m6bkqphs/AStriggio.rar
Thank you very very much :)
I hope it will get released on cd as well.
Thanks a lot. After Utopia Triumphans Moroneys's article the anjd the Mass are a revelation
Rana: Thank you very much. Having recently heard of this piece, I was anxious to actually hear it. I'm glad the second RS link still works.
Post a Comment